Sunday, November 21, 2010

Chunky Cowboy Chili with Cornmeal Cheddar Scones

Chunky Cowboy 
Chili

I bought the 2010 Christmas with Southern Living last week in Birmingham.  Sunday night I got a chance to thumb thru the pages.  Wow lots of good recipes that I want to make.  The weather was a bit cooler so I decided on the Chunky Cowboy Chili with Cornmeal Cheddar Scones.  After a quick trip to the grocery store, I spent most of Monday cooking.  Well worth the time!!!
These are the ingredients you will need.  If you are laughing at my flat green bell pepper, they look a bit strange because they are straight out of my freezer.  Prior to their stint in the freezer, these little peppers were in my garden.  Yep planted, nursed and grown by me.


Cut the meat into 1/2-inch pieces
In small batches, brown the meat in oil
While the meat is browning, I chopped the onions, garlic and those beautiful green peppers.
After all the meat is browned, saute the onions, garlic and green pepper.
Return the beef to the dutch oven and add all the remaining ingredients
Bring to a boil, cover reduce the heat and simmer for 1 hour and 30 minutes.

Printer Friendly Recipe for Chunky Cowboy Chili

Now it is on to the

Cornmeal Cheddar Scones

This is what you will need:  flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder, soda, salt, butter, ground red pepper, cheese, egg and buttermilk

Put first 7 ingredients into food processor.  Cut butter into chunks.  
Pulse the flour and butter mixture in processor 4-5 times, til mixture resembles coarse cornmeal.  Put flour mixture in a large bowl.
Stir the grated cheese into the flour mixture and then add egg and buttermilk.
Prepare a floured surface
Turn dough out onto a floured surface.  (When I put the dough on the floured surface, it looked like a head--so I made the head some eyes, a nose, and mouth).   Can you see it???  I could not resist.
Knead a bit and pat dough into a 10 x 7 inch rectangle
Line baking sheet with parchment paper
Cut dough into squares.  I just had to make 1 scone round.  He is in the bottom right corner.
Put in oven and bake!!!!
Ta dah-- Cornmeal Cheddar Scones--they are beautiful and smell sooo good.
Chunky Cowboy Chili




Patti Notes:  These are definitely keepers. I used more than 4 pounds of beef.  I would probably add a bit   more chili powder to the chili and a bit more red pepper to the scones, otherwise two great recipes.  I will make this again soon.

                      


No comments:

Post a Comment

Pages